How we pick our products
Many people feel that grocery shopping is a tedious task. This is why most of us find it time-saving and practical to buy large quantities of certain foods at once. That way, we can make fewer and less frequent visits to the supermarket and save time. The only drawback to this method of grocery shopping is that you need to have enough space to store all your food. This is when an upright freezer can come in handy.
Every home has a fridge with a freezer, but that freezer can sometimes be quite small. This is why more and more people are choosing to have their own upright freezer as well as their normal refridgerator. An upright freezer offers extra space in which to store frozen food or leftovers you don’t want to throw away. It will also come in handy if you dehydrate food yourself.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection of the Best Upright Freezers on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Upright Freezers
- 3.1 What are upright freezers and how do they work?
- 3.2 Are upright or chest freezers better?
- 3.3 Are upright freezers or your refrigerator’s freezer better?
- 3.4 What are the different parts of an upright freezer?
- 3.5 What other elements are found in an upright freezer?
- 3.6 How can I optimize my upright freezer?
- 3.7 What types technology do upright freezers use?
- 3.8 What are the advantages and disadvantages of upright freezers?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Upright freezers are appliances designed to store the frozen or “to be frozen” foods you buy as well as other foods you freeze yourself, either cooked or raw.
- There are two main sizes of upright freezers available on the market. The larger type are the same size as refrigerators, while the smaller ones are about half as high.
- These appliances offer different possibilities when you store frozen food. This is why you should become familiar with their most important features.
- On the U.S. market, the price range of these devices is very broad. Be sure to analyze all of their characteristics if you want to make the most suitable purchase possible.
Our Selection of the Best Upright Freezers on the U.S. Market
This ranking lists the five best upright freezers available right now on Amazon.com. We have evaluated the manufacturers, the price and power of each product. At the same time we have taken into consideration the reviews of consumers of these products to give you this list of the best available upright freezers:
- Best Small Upright Freezer
- Best Full-Sized Upright Freezer
- Best Deep Upright Freezer
- Best Rectangular Upright Freezer
- Best Upright Freezer in Stainless Steel
Best Small Upright Freezer
For $319 you can embark on an expansion of your frozen food capacity with this Costway 3.0 cubic feet free standing upright freezer, which features a stainless steel door, and black cabinet exterior for a sleek and clean look. This mini sized portable upright freezer, is perfect for your small kitchen. Two removable slide-out chrome shelves provide more ways to organize your storage needs. Definitely a great convenience for any home.
Manual 7-grade temperature control knob on the interior of cooler makes approximate temperature range of -8°F to 7°F, you can select as your different needs. The upright freezer features Recessed Door handle for easy access to your frozen foods. With space saving flat back design. The adjustable leveling legs offer an even surface and manual defrost helps keep the freezer clean.
Best Full-Sized Upright Freezer
If you are ready for a full-sized upright freezer, this Danby 8.5 cubic foot upright freezer is a good value at just $484. Other sizes are available from 3.2 to 7.2 cubic feet, as well. This model features an 8.5 cu.ft. interior capacity.
This Danby Upright model has a loading capacity of 8.5 cubic feet equivalent to a maximum of 241 Liters. 3 quick freeze shelves, and 4 sturdy integrated door shelves are included. For flexibility there is a reversible door hinge, and for reliability, a mechanical thermostat.
Best Deep Upright Freezer
The Whynter Upright Deep Freezer has a temperature range form 46 degrees to -11 degrees offering the most possible flexibility, as it can function as a refrigerator as well as a deep freezer. This heavy-duty, versatile upright freezer has a large, 13.8 cu. ft. capacity and a stylish stainless steel door.
Additionally, this freezer has wheels which allow easy mobility; LED temperature display for ease of use; and for safety and efficiency, it is UL Certified and Energy Star rated. Inside are 4 sliding cabinet shelves; 4 removable freezer door rack shelves and 1 slide-out bulk storage basket. Soft interior lighting shows the contents but is easy on the eyes and the room’s decor.
Best Rectangular Upright Freezer
The Koolatron 3.1 cu. ft. Upright Freezer offers 3.1 cubic feet or 88 liters of storage space. It’s compact size and smooth back design is perfect for small spaces, and it make an ideal addition to any home, cottage, or workplace kitchen. The Koolatron 3.1 Upright Freezer features two full-width fixed shelves, and an adjustable thermostat to set your desired temperature.
This upright freezer has very high ratings and features 3.1 cu. ft. of space, an R600a (CFC free) compressor, mechanical thermostat control, a smooth-backed design, and a metal backboard. At a price of $234 this rectangular freezer will fit in nicely in a smaller area, if you need more freezer, but do not have a lot of spare space.
Best Upright Freezer in Stainless Steel
For only $337, you can get yourself a stylish stainless steel-doored upright freezer from Magic Chef. The main cabinet is in easy-to-clean black. This freezer features manual defrost and wire shelves, as well as an adjustable temperature thermostat control.
For versatility the door can be attached on either side and to reduce the space it takes up, there is a recessed door handle. This unit weights only 60 lbs and operates from 120-volt power.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Upright Freezers
Upright freezers come with a wide range of helpful features that you’ll need to know about in order to understand the differences between the various models available. In the next section, we’ll review some of those key features. Once you understand these differences, you’ll be able to make an informed purchasing decision.
What are upright freezers and how do they work?
A freezer reduces the temperature of food until it freezes or keeps already-frozen foods frozen. This is achieved by using a gaseous refrigerant that circulates through different compartments of the appliance.
Are upright or chest freezers better?
- Chest freezer: The main difference is that you access the food from the top. They offer a large storage capacity, but it might be difficult to reach products placed in the bottom. One advantage is that you can freeze large peices of food. This model usually consumes less energy than upright freezers.
- Upright freezer: With an upright freezer, you can access your food more easily. Larger models can often offer the same amount of space as chest freezers. Note that these models are generally more expensive. They take up less space and can even be placed in the kitchen.
Are upright freezers or your refrigerator’s freezer better?
You’ll also need to have significant space in your kitchen if you opt for an additional appliance. Most kitchens are designed to house one standard-sized refrigerator. The advantage of an upright freezer is that it can be placed elsewhere in the kitchen, or in other rooms, such as garages, basements or mud rooms.
What are the different parts of an upright freezer?
|Compressor||Designed to increase the gas pressure from the evaporator, and then compress it. The compressor then turns the gas back to a liquid state so that it can circulate through the freezer.|
|Expansion valve||Its role is to bring enough refrigerant to the evaporator depending on its needs. It needs to reduce the pressure and temperature of the liquid to achieve this.|
|Coils||The refrigerant liquid circulates through these coiled capillary tubes. They are used as the link between the compressor and the expansion valve.|
|Thermostat||This element is in charge of maintaining the correct temperature in the freezer. Once the temperature is suitable, the thermostat and the refrigerant path stop until the temperature rises again.|
|Refrigerant||It is used to cool the freezer. Two liquids are used: Freon and Ammonia. Both of these substances are very dangerous, and you should never handle them directly.|
What other elements are found in an upright freezer?
|Internal light||This part is essential for you to see the contents of your freezer.|
|Drain||Its main role is to eliminate water when you defrost the appliance.|
|Alarm||It warns you if you leave the door open or if the light burns out.|
|Controls||These are designed to enable you to control the different functions of your appliance.|
How can I optimize my upright freezer?
- Temperature: Try to keep your freezer’s temperature around 0°F. This will give you better performance and lower energy consumption.
- Position: Leave a small space between your freezer and the wall to avoid blocking the exhaust vents. Keep your upright freezer away from any heat sources.
- Energy: Do not leave the freezer door open too long or you can lose heat and energy.
- Maintenance: Never place hot food in your freezer, and avoid overfilling the freezer. Defrost your freezer regularly when the ice layer is greater than 1/4″.
What types technology do upright freezers use?
- Frostless: This is a freezer in which no frost or ice is created inside. Its main advantage is that you never have to defrost your appliance.
- Low frost: In this case, the ice forms a thin layer of frost in the freezer. It is still quite easy to clean.
- Static: This is the most traditional technology. Small pieces of ice form on the walls of the appliance. You’ll need to defrost it regularly before cleaning.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of upright freezers?
It’s almost time to wrap up our shopping guide, but we can’t possibly let you go with introducing you to the most important factors that you’ll have to consider when buying your upright freezer. These shopping criteria will undoubtedly help you choose the model that best fits your needs. These factors are the following:
This could potentially be the most important criterion for you. As we mentioned earlier, you can easily find two types of upright freezers. Some models are designed to be placed under a countertop and measure around 30 inches in height. Other models measure approximately 5-6 feet, a size similar to that of standard refrigerators.
In terms of food storage space, the second option is naturally the more advantageous one. However, keep in mind that models of this size are less easy to place in your kitchen. If you have a lot of free space, we encourage you to opt for this model. These are also more suitable for larger families, or if you’re used to buying large quantities of food at a time.
The energy consumption of your freezer is another key aspect. Simply remember that a freezer cannot stop working like other types of appliances because they need to maintain a temperature well below room temperature. Opt for a model with the Energy Star rating and you’ll be saving on your electricity bills.
We’ve already talked about the three different types of freezing technologies. In that regard, you are encouraged to go for nfrost-free models, as you won’t have any ice building up inside your upright freezer. This will prevent you from having to defrost the frezer, making it much easier to clean. Keep this in mind when you purchase your appliance.
Reversible doors are particularly useful features for your upright freezer. They will allow you to place the appliance anywhere you like in the kitchen. If you eventually decide to change its location, you won’t have any problem doing so. You might regret it later on if you don’t buy a model with a reversible door.
Also called undercooling, this system allows the food to freeze quickly. Freezers with this feature are much more efficient than those who don’t. It is particularly useful to better preserve the properties of the frozen food. That way, it will lose fewer nutrients, such as vitamins or minerals. This is definitely an interesting function to have.
Upright freezers give you extra storage space, whether you buy frozen food or want to freeze food you’ve prepared. Remember that the size is a key criteria to consider when making your purchase: the appliance you buy needs to be right for your family and the house in which you live. You should also evaluate the unit’s energy consumption to avoid overspending.
The freezing technique of your model is another aspect you shouldn’t overlook. As you know, frost free is the most efficient, as it prevents ice from forming and makes it easier for you to clean the freezer. Fast freezing technology is also very useful to better preserve the food’s nutrients. Finally, you should always try to get the best value for money possible.
Did you find our shopping guide on upright freezers interesting? If so, feel free to leave us a comment in the section below, and share our article on your social media.
(Source of Featured Image: Loganban: 33455170/ 123rf.com)