How we pick our products
A table saw is an essential power tool for any workshop. They are perfect for cutting and polishing wood, as well as soft materials such as plastic, brass or aluminum metal sheets. These tools are available in a wide selection of models with different specifications, that are suitable for professionals and amateurs.
Table saws are more typically designed for professional applications, since they must be stable and installed on a flat surface. For smaller jobs, a handheld tool such as a jigsaw, or a circular saw might be more suitable. In this article, we focus on everything you need to know about table saws, so that you can find the model that is best for you.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection of the Best Table Saws on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Table Saws
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- A table saw is the most important tool in any carpentry workshop.
- Unlike handheld circular saws, which are manually pushed over a cutting surface, table saws have a fixed disc which remains in place, while the material slides towards it. This makes the cutting process much faster and easier.
- Table saws are specialized tools and are designed for professional jobs. They help you to achieve very precise cuts, even at an angle, which is virtually impossible with other types of tools.
Our Selection of the Best Table Saws on the U.S. Market
Table saws are the backbone of any carpentry workshop. They are precision tools, perfect for lots of different cutting tasks. To help you choose the table saw that is best for you from the wide-range available on the market, we have researched and selected the best models available in four different categories:
- Best Table Saw for DIY Enthusiasts
- Best Compact Table Saw
- Best High-Powered Table Saw
- Best Portable Table Saw for Professionals
Best Table Saw for DIY Enthusiasts
This is the perfect tool for do-it-yourselfers to take care of jobs around the home. It is the cheapest option on our list, and great for someone who wants a quality tool without a big financial outlay. It has a heavy-duty steel stand. It is easy to setup and pack down for storage or to be transported. This is the best entry-level product available on the market right now.
Best Compact Table Saw
Weighing less than 50 pounds, this is the most portable table saw in its class. Although compact, it has a powerful 1850 Watt motor for high performance in any situation. Scissor legs are lightweight, and allow for a fast setup so you can start working right away. Moderately priced product from a trusted manufacturer. Great option for someone who wants a powerful table saw to use around the house.
Best High-Powered Table Saw
High-powered table saw for professional cabinet-makers, hardwood floor installers, deck builders and remodelers. A 2″ dust collection port easily connects to a vacuum for efficient dust extraction, keeping clean up times to a minimum. The rolling stand is designed for easy setup and breakdown with excellent stability, and features large heavy duty wheels that easily roll over steps, curbs, and jobsite debris.
Best Portable Table Saw for Professionals
Delivers both professional rip capacity and outstanding portability with treaded rubber composite tires. This is a power tool that can get the job done, no matter where you are. It includes constant response circuitry to help maintain speed under load, and overload protection. The most expensive option on our list, but definitely worth the money for professionals who need a reliable table saw for their jobsite.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Table Saws
A table saw is a vital part any workshop setup. They deliver precision cutting, and can perform various tasks quickly and easily. In this shopping guide we will show you the main features of table saws, and answer the most frequently asked questions about these tools.
What is a table saw?
Although they are most commonly found in carpentry and mechanical workshops, today there are table saws on the market at very affordable prices. This has made them very popular with DIY enthusiasts, since they are the perfect tool for a wide-range of different tasks.
What different components do table saws have?
- Table for the saw: Made of anodized aluminum or wrought iron. Some models include cutting guides to make perfectly straight cuts easier.
- Blade protector: An essential safety feature that covers the cutting blade when the machine is not being operated.
- Dust extraction hose: This extra feature is not integrated in all models. It sucks up dust that is produced from cutting.
- Guide for parallel cuts: Another extra feature found in some models. It marks out parallel cuts, making them easier to get perfectly straight.
- Folding table extension: an extension for the table that is equipped with hinges. It is a safe way to increase the cutting space, ideal for long pieces of wood or other materials.
- Miter gauge: Allows the tilting of the saw blade, or the cutting material, for making miter cuts.
- Eccentric lever: Used to adjust the cutting settings. Clamps and holds the cutting material, making the saw safer and more secure to operate.
- Blade-height crank: Allows the depth of the cut to be regulated.
- On/off switch: Supplies energy to the tool, and makes the blade start spinning.
- Push stick: Protects the hand, while allowing good control of the material as it is pushed through the cutting blade
- Base legs: Used to support the tool. Most models have an adjustment system to adjust the height and level.
- Cutting blade: Serrated circular discs. Fixed to a shaft that rotates at high speed.
What type of table saw would be best for me, and what level of precision can I expect?
On the other hand, if you are love doing DIY projects on weekends and only want to use a table saw for light work, it is best to buy a semi-portable model. The accuracy of these saws is still very impressive and they are also compact, making them easy to pull out to use on a workbench, and then to store away after use.
How do I use a table saw?
- Before use. The first thing you should do is familiarize yourself with how the table saw is capable of being used, its functions and all the different controls. You must be very clear how to turn it on and off. These tools have various safety features, so it is a good idea to learn how to use them properly.
- Safety and protection. Do not remove any protective elements of the table saw. Wear appropriate safety clothing, and be sure to follow the manufacturer’s safety instructions.
- Space for working. Place the table saw in a dedicated space for working. It must be a place where you can work comfortably, without any risk to yourself or anyone around you.
- Stable surface. If the table saw does not have legs, you must place it on a workbench or on a stable surface. Before operating, use a level to make sure the machine is level.
- Place the material. Select the piece of wood, or other material, and place it on the table against the guides.
- Position. Always stand in front of the machine when you are using it, so that the on and off button is in front of you and easy to reach.
- Push the cutting material. Never use your hands to push the cutting material towards the blade. Use a rod stick or another block of wood. Push the material little by little and in a smooth motion, without exerting any pressure.
- Turn on the machine. As soon as you have finished cutting, turn off the machine to avoid any accidents.
- Maintenance. Once you have finished using your table saw, clean the lower and upper housings. Use a vacuum cleaner for any places that are hard to reach. Also check the condition of the saw teeth after each use, and that the blade is securely fixed. Change the disc whenever necessary.
Now that you have read our shopping guide, you should already have all the information you need to know about table saws. However, before you make your purchase, there are some important factors you need to keep in mind, so that you find the product that is perfect for you:
Since every type of material has a different hardness and resistance, the power rating is a very important specification to consider when purchasing a table saw. The power determines the speed of rotation of the disk, as well as the size and type of materials which can safely be cut.
The power should be at least 1000 watts, and it is very handy if the tool includes some type of speed regulator which will allow you to adjust the amount of power, depending on the type of material you are cutting. Remember that materials like plastics and acrylics require a slower cutting speed to avoid cracks. The cut depth is also determined by the power.
You must ensure that the table provides the correct amount of strength and support for the jobs you are intending to do with your table saw. The table must be made of steel or another type of strong material. It should also be stable and have resistant rubber stops, which will help to keep the table from moving around.
It is also very important to check that the saw table is easy to setup and assemble. This will allow you to start working quickly, and a level table will help to make sure that your cuts are as straight as possible. Make sure that the table is 100% secure, so that the saw is safe to use.
Material to be Cut
The material to be cut will determine the power, and therefore the type of table saw you will need. It is very important that you know the thickness capacity you require your table saw to handle. For this you should consider the most common thicknesses wood is generally supplied in: 1/2″, 5/8″, 3/4″ and 1″.
If you plan to cut planks or plywood boards, you will need a machine with a guide for parallel cuts. It is also advisable that it has a table that can be extended, as these types of wood usually come in long pieces. An extension will allow you to work more comfortably and safely.
Table saws are tools that have a wide variety of accessories, many of them are designed to make their use safer and more efficient. Some models have a system that allows the blade to be tilted, for making miter or angle cuts. Others accessories, such as protectors, will stop wood chips from being fired out in different directions.
You should look for features such as a push stick or guides, which help you feed the cutting material along the table into the saw. Check if the table has additional extensions or supports, which will allow you to handle longer pieces of material more easily.
Type of Cuts
If you want to be able to cut very thick pieces of wood, or if you intend to make bevel cuts, you should choose a table saw with an adjustable cutting disc, both in height and inclination. This function is usually performed by a lever at the front of the machine, that moves along a graduated scale.
The eccentric lever will allow you to adjust the height of the cutting disc, which will allow you to work on much thicker materials. It will also allow you to perform bevel or angle cutting. Normally, this type of lever will allow you to set the tilt of the cut at an angle ranging from 0 to 45 degrees.
Table saws are the most important tool in any carpentry workshop. Thanks to the wide-range of new models out on the market, that are more compact and affordable, they are also becoming very popular with DIY enthusiasts. They are very versatile tools that allow you to cut different types of materials in a single pass, quickly, precisely and easily.
There are so many different models of table saws these days, so choosing the best one for you can be a little tricky. However, if you keep in mind everything you have read in our guide, you will easily know how to choose the table saw that best suits your needs and what you need to look for.
If you liked this article, please be sure to leave us a comment or share it with your friends and family.
(Source of Featured Image: Belchonock: 97741272/ 123rf.com)