How we pick our products
Did you know that having all your belongings organized can help you feel more confident when making decisions? This is what organizing consultant guru Marie Kondo says. She believes that constantly choosing whether or not to keep your personal belongings helps you become more decisive. And no one will argue that closets are the centerpiece to keeping your bedroom tidy.
There are options aplenty, but choosing the perfect model won’t be so challenging with the help of our comprehensive shopping guide. We will delve into what the American market has to offer and give you the right tips to determine your needs. We will also introduce you to some interesting aspects of this furniture, and you might just learn new things!
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Closets on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Closets
- 4 Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Summary
- You have to find the closet that best meets all your needs. First and foremost, you need a model that adapts to the space you have available and the storage you need.
- If you want to keep your bedroom organized, you must pick the most suitable closet. You can also use this furniture in other rooms, with some models tailored to storage rooms or tight spaces.
- What is the right size closet for you? Do you know how to install it safely? We will look at these critical aspects in the final section of our article.
Our Selection: The Best Closets on the U.S. Market
How about we start off with our very own selection of the best closets currently available out there? This is a great way for you to familiarize yourself with what’s on the market, and you may learn a thing or two about this piece of furniture as well. If you find the model you’ve been dreaming of, that’s simply perfect. Otherwise, you can use this section to guide you towards a product more in line with your personal preferences.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Closets
Can you imagine your bedroom without a closet? Unless you have your own dressing room, this is virtually impossible. However, the fact that this piece of furniture is indispensable often pushes people to make a hasty decision. They tend to buy the very first model that fits in the available space, especially if they need a closet immediately. Keep reading our guide and you won’t make the same mistake.
What types of closets are there?
Free-standing closets will either come in a set kit or made to measure for you to mount directly in your bedroom. Last but not least, auxiliary models generally consist of a metal structure covered by a fabric with a zipper. In addition, you can also find modular closets. We have designed the following table to help you compare the three primary types:
|Space||They make the most of the space available.||You have to find the right size.||They take up little space.|
|Size||These models tend to be fairly large.||They come in a wide range of sizes.||Modular closets come in different sizes, but they are generally compact.|
|Assembly||Construction work||In kit or made to measure||In kit|
|Materials||Brick or plasterboard. Interior lining with wood or wood by-products.||Wood or wood by-products||Metallic structure and fabric cover. Modular closets feature a plastic exterior.|
|Aesthetics||They are integrated into the bedroom.||You have a multitude of options available.||Design isn’t their most attractive feature.|
|Type of bedroom||Any room with the necessary space.||Any bedroom.||They are intended for storage rooms, very small bedrooms, or rental apartments.|
|Cost||They require more work and are, therefore, more expensive. There are many options for any budget.||They are usually quite affordable.|
What kind of doors do closets have?
- Sliding doors: They take up the least space and slide on rails installed on the top or bottom of the closet. They are ideal for small bedrooms or if the furniture is near your bed. There is a wide range of sizes available, with models having up to four sliding doors. Look for closets with progressive braking for smoother sliding.
- Hinged doors. These closets feature a 90-degree opening. The doors of models that come in kit generally measure 12 to 16 inches, in which case you should make sure you have between 20 and 24 inches of space between the closet and your bed. If you opt for a custom-made wardrobe, add 8 inches to the size of the door and the depth of the piece of furniture itself to avoid unpleasant surprises.
- Folding doors. They consist of several parts that fold onto themselves. These doors make great use of space, with many models now offering the same level of aesthetics as folding doors.
Modular kits or custom-made closets?
|Cost||There is a wide range of prices, but they tend to be more affordable.||They generally cost more.|
|Dimensions||They come in standard sizes.||You can adapt them to your needs.|
|Exterior design||You have to find one you like among existing models.||They can be fully personalized to suit your tastes.|
|Storage options||You have to do with what manufacturers offer.||They are endless.|
|Type of door||Any||Any|
Auxiliary closets: fabric or plastic?
|Variety in size||✔|
What should the ideal closet interior look like?
- Height. So that the detractors of free-standing models don’t cause problems, we encourage you to make the most of the space you have by opting for a high closet. In some cases, you can add modules to reach the ceiling.
- Top shelf. If the model you purchase measures over 6 feet in height, you can have a top shelf to store items you use less frequently. Remember to set the clothes rail at the appropriate height so that you can easily reach it with your hand. You can have open boxes or drawers to complete your closet.
- Rail. Placing it at the right height isn’t just about making it comfortable for you to use; it will also prevent your clothes from wrinkling.
- Shelves. Have a look at how many clothes you need to store and try to evaluate the number of shelves you will have to install in your closet. Remember that some clothes, such as sweaters and cotton shirts, are better folded than hung up.
- Drawers. The vast majority of closets include at least a couple of drawers. As we just mentioned, some clothes are best stored in this kind of space. In that regard, look for models that are fully extractable and feature brakes.
- Shoe rack. Unless you have a separate shoe rack, you may want to find a model with a space at the bottom to store your shoes. Ideally, this section should be kept separate from your clothes.
What materials are closets made of?
- Solid wood. This is one of the most expensive options. It will give a powerful look to your closet but can also clutter the space. Wood is a fantastic choice if you have a rustic decoration at home.
- MDF (medium-density fiberboard). This wood by-product is manufactured using its fibers and presents a smooth finish. It is more affordable than wood and adapts to any decorative style.
- Particle board. While its finish isn’t as smooth as that of MDF, it is a sturdier material. It is also cheaper since it is manufactured with wood shavings.
- Melamine. These types of closets are made from timber boards covered with a melamine sheet. Melamine is also more affordable than wood and offers excellent results both in terms of aesthetics and durability.
- Fabric. Auxiliary closets sometimes come with a fabric cover, which you can generally close with a zipper. While this material is very cheap, you have to take great care of it if you want to last.
- Plastic. Other auxiliary closets, on the other hand, are made of different plastic modules. Although this is generally a more expensive option than fabric, it is also more resistant. Both types come with a metal structure.
What are the advantages of closets?
We are nearing the end of our shopping guide, and you’re closer than ever to the perfect closet for your home. But before we say goodbye, there is one more thing we want you to take a look at: the main shopping criteria. In the following section, we delve into some of the aspects you need to evaluate in order to make the right decision.
Ideally, your closet should be tall enough – at least 6 feet – to hold several shelves and a shoe rack if possible. This space will allow you to store this season’s clothes, but you may still need more storage for the rest of your clothes. A top shelf is great for winter clothing when it isn’t needed. We recommend you select your garments carefully and store them as neatly as possible; that way, you will be making the most of the space you have available.
Size of the Room
If your bedroom is big, we encourage you to opt for a large closet with folding doors. This type of opening gives you easier access to your clothes inside. If you have a small bedroom, on the other hand, you will get the most out of that little space by choosing sliding doors. In that case, a lift-up base for your bed can be a great help.
You have to make sure that the closet you purchase complies with all safety regulations. But that’s not all; you should also use it properly. Whether you go for a free-standing wardrobe or an auxiliary model, you must attach it to the wall. This will prevent it from tipping over and causing a potentially serious accident.
This is another criterion you simply can’t overlook. Not only will it determine whether or not you have enough space to place the closet, but it also indicates its storage capacity. Depending on its dimensions, the furniture will be able to hold different types of clothes, hangers, and other accessories. Take a look at the following table to help you get it right:
|14 inches||Corridors or storage rooms||Shelves and shoe rack||Folded clothes and shoes|
|18 inches||Small bedrooms or storage rooms||Shelves, shoe rack, and rail for medium-sized hangers||Folded, hanging clothes, and shoes|
|24 to 28 inches||All types of bedrooms||Shelves, shoe rack, and rails for large hangers||Folded, hanging clothes of any size, and shoes|
Look for a closet that features a resistant design. The rail and shelves should be sturdy enough to withstand the weight you will place on them. In addition, the drawers and doors should have brakes for smoother and safer operation. It won’t hurt either if the model you purchase is easy to clean!
View this post on Instagram
Closet goals af😍💯❤️ Posted @withregram • @lovefordesigns Closet goals! 👜🛍👛 . By @missesclementi #lovefordesigns #homedesign #interiordecor #closetgoals #wardrobe #wardrobegoals #wardrobedesign #closetdesign #closetorganization #wardrobeorganization #closetmakeover #wardrobemakeover #organizedliving #konmari #clutterfree #organizedhome #organizedlife
Remember when we said that having an organized home went a long way in helping you make decisions? Well, we certainly hope that this article contributed to you choosing the right closet for your home. Do you feel confident to do that? If you keep in mind all the information we have given you, we’re sure you will pick a fantastic closet.
You now know which are the best manufacturing materials, as well as the different types available out there. In fact, you can even tell which doors are most suitable for your room. Don’t forget that the size of the model you buy should be determined by where you will place it.
Did you find our shopping guide on closets helpful and informative? If so, feel free to share it on your social media. You can also leave us a comment in the section below!
(Source of featured image: Belchonock: 105724300/ 123rf.com)